Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Affordable Bass Bins With Eminence Gamma 15-A2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affordable Bass Bins With Eminence Gamma 15-A2
    Posted: 15 February 2008 at 3:47pm

I needed to make a bass bin for live sound applications that wouldnt hurt the wallet very much and still sounded pretty decent. So I came up with a reflex design that employs 2 Eminence Gamma 15-A2 in an enclosure that is tuned to roughly 36 Hz. The cabinet rolls off 3dB at 45 Hz and 6dB at 35 Hz. Not bad for a cheapie project. I currently have four that I run with 1100 watts RMS per cabinet. I plan to have eight cabinets in total. A single cluster of 4 with 4400 watts of power behind it sounds pretty good. The bass was well rounded and punchy. Im sure these will work well as mid bass cabinets sitting on top of a couple of X1s for club applications. Below are some pictures showing Transfer Function Magnitude,  and the boxes themselves.

I'd be more than happy to share the plans with anyone who is interested in this design.

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2008 at 10:07pm
get them up then!!! i can imagine a single one with a pair of 8"+1" for monitoring or small gigs, what frequency range was it playing??? nice!!!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2008 at 10:14pm
i wouldnt bother with 8 of them though, four should be more than enough maybey spend the rest of your efforts sticking some subs under them if you need 8 id be looking at a more eficient design instead, ie horn loaded, 16X15" drivers in reflex seems a bit daft when you could do the same amount of damage with 8 horn loaded drivers, mind the gammas may not like horn loading to be honest...... nice idea though for small events wher the punteres arnt used to fk1 sound and spl theyd be a good bet for the dosh!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
da_audio_don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2008 at 1:35pm
they do fine from 30 Hz on up. I set up a hight pass filter at 30 Hz, and give it a gentle boost of about 2dB to 4dB from 30 to 40Hz. I like the results i get. you could build a set of dual 10 inch two way boxes and cross that over @ 200 Hz and stack it on top of one of these subs and you will have a very sweet sounding full range setup. i really like the gammas in this application. they perform alot better than I thought. the enclosure alignment is pretty flexible too, as it will sound nice with a very wide variety of woofers.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 10:58am
GOOD JOB!!!!
Id be VERY interested in this design. Seems to do everything im looking for at the moment :)
...any chance of you sharing the design??
Much thanks,
C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 5:41pm
Hello,

@ Markk 
                     I had decided on eight because I figured that I could do smaller shows and split the system up into two just in case I book to shows at the same time. That way, I could have four subs at one venue, and I could set the other four at another venue at have a friend run the sound. I have been thinking of making bass bins for the very low frequencies to use in conjunction with these boxes to create a two way bass system for more demanding applications. I'm still looking. So far, the lab subs seem to be the best candidates for the job, but I don't know if I'm ready for such a big box. Do you have any suggestions? Maybe a folded horn thats easier to build.

@ Static Age
                           Sure I'll share the plan. I have it on paper. I'll scan it and post it on the thread for you. If you want even more power handling, you can load the boxes with Kappa 15s.
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 7:44pm
I wouldn't bother with labs unless you're going to use a lot of them all the time, apparently they're not so hot in small groups (2-3).
X1s might be good.
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:02pm

Could you post the xmax graph, (or driver excursion graph) from winisd, I would have thought that at 30Hz the drivers would excede xmax at high wattage, I could be wrong though!

NICE ONE! its cool to see people out there getting stuck in a making stuff. whats the sensitivity of the cabnet 1w/1m? sorry if you've already put it, i couldnt see it.

Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:09am

Hello,

Here is the cone excursion graph for 1 cabinet at 1100 watts.

Here is the SPL graph for 1 cabinet at 1 watt/meter

Here is the SPL graph for 1 cabinet at 1100 watts

Here is the SPL graph for 2 cabinets at 2200 watts total power

Here is the SPL graph for 4 cabinets at 4400 watts total power

At 1100 watts per cabinet and with a high pass filter at 30hz, I havent had any excursion problems to date. in some applications I have driven the boxes into full power plus clipping for transients and the woofers seem to take it and live on even though Win ISD hints that we might have some problemsTongue. So far I'm happy with the sound I get with 1100 watts per box. The coils never smack the back bump plate. Besides, I have that much power for the sake of headroom. I  have done many shows where the sub amps top out only at the      -10dB led of the amps meter bridge (QSC PL236).
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:33am
Stick some 18s underneath!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 4:18am
I'm thinking of a dual 18" reflex box with either the eminence Omega pro 18 or the Selenium 18WS600. I'm also thinking of designing my own tapped horn design. It seems like they do phenomenal in groups of two boxes.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:24am
Sorry mate, but all your pics are the same. all the graphs look like 1w/1m, not max output.

hmm, i thought there would be excursion problems, but in real life we dont put sinewaves at low frequencys through speakers so theres normaly no reason to panic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>